Friday, July 11, 2014

Vinaigrette Style Cole Slaw

(I will add a photo the next time I make this.)

I was reading through The Kitchen Gardener's Handbook* when I came across a recipe for cole slaw that looked very interesting.  I took the vinaigrette recipe and added it to my own cole slaw idea... and came up with this.  It has been a huge hit with everyone who has eaten it.

Ingredients
  • 1 large package preshredded cabbage and carrots (aka: cole slaw mix) or you can shred your own.
  • 1 small red onion, chopped
  • 1 cup dried cranberries
Vinaigrette
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • Apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 2 Tablespoons honey
  • Salt

Squeeze the lemon into a measuring cup.  Add enough apple cider vinegar to make 1/2 cup liquid.  Add honey and salt.  Mix well.  Add the oil and mix well again.

Combine the cabbage and carrots with the onions and dried cranberries.  Pour the vinaigrette over the mixture.  Best made about two or three hours before serving, tossing the mixture once in awhile.

I used dried pomegranates one time since I had them on hand and I have used sliced green onions instead of the red onions.  I also added sliced almonds to the mixture when I had them on hand (about a handful).  Obviously you can add what you want to make this recipe your own!

When using a package of preshredded veggies, this comes together in just a few minutes.  It is very good for picnics as it contains no mayonnaise... which is why my husband likes it a lot.  He hates mayonnaise.

Added:  Sometimes I sprinkle 2 or 3 tablespoons of sugar over the cole slaw once it has set awhile if it needs sweetening a bit.  It's not that much sugar once it is tossed into the slaw but can be just what is needed if the vinegar flavor overwhelms.

*All book links are Amazon Associate

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Brenda! I am looking forward to trying this recipe since my husband will not eat mayo either. It can be a challenge when making picnic food if you can not use mayo. :)

Thanks for sharing,

Lori in PA

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

That is so easy! I like easy! I'm going to give it a try. I need help with side dishes for meals!

Deanna