Thursday, May 01, 2014

Kentucky Derby Pie


I had this recipe elsewhere but now it gets its' own space!  :)

Kentucky Derby Pie (a family favorite since the 1970s)

  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 C. sugar (I prefer brown sugar)
  • 1/2 C. flour
  • Pinch of salt (hmmm..1/8th teaspoon?)
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 1 C. chocolate chips
  • 1/2 - 1 C. chopped pecans or walnuts (I have made it without nuts)
  • 1 unbaked pie shell (regular pie shell or graham cracker crust, I've used both over the years)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix together butter, sugar, and eggs until well blended, add vanilla. Add flour and salt, mix. Add chocolate chips and chopped nuts if you're using them. (There is no leavening in this pie.)

Place mixture in unbaked pie shell and bake for 40 minutes.  Let cool for awhile before cutting into slices.

I usually serve this alone but it's very good with ice cream if you serve it warm.  I prefer it at room temperature as it is less rich that way.

Note:  Original recipe has a shot of bourbon added to batter.  I never made it that way, neither did my friend who gave it to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Made this for my family and everyone enjoyed it. Thank you for the recipe, I will definitely be making it again!